Wednesday, 25 November 2009

RAUL SPANKS HÖHENSPRUNG!



Ok, so I’m walking towards the Hildegardis Krankenhaus bus stop, when I spot a newspaper ad on one of the bus shelter’s walls. One of the newspaper’s headlines reads: RAUL SPANKS HÖHENSPRUNG.

I forget for a second that I’m living in Germany, and approach the ad, intrigued by the notion of a guy called Raul spanking another guy called Höhensprung.
The mental images having a ball in my head come to a screeching halt as I read a snippet of the actual article, in German. It’s actually about a guy called Raul Spanks, who’s apparently a high-jump athlete, and a particular jump he made at some point. The German word for high-jump is Höhensprung.

I guess it’s a good thing Raul Spanks lives in Germany, though I think a Raul Spanks Höhensprung story in English would have made for very interesting reading…